Tuesday, May 16, 2006

My Last Letter e-mailed to Tim, April 18th

I remembered sending Tim this e-mail after spending Easter week at the Outer Banks with him and decided to share it so that everyone might know that we have been aware of his struggles these past two years and have done everything he would let us do to help him through this time. I hope it gives some insight into how we have tried to encourage and support him at the same time respecting his decisions as an adult.

Dear Tim,
I hope all is going well with you. We really enjoyed your company on vacation. We knew you had a lot on you and didn't expect you to be care free. It was good just to be around you: your gentleness, kindness, the servant's heart you have, the quiet strength you project, the way you orient yourself to others, and the respectful way you treat each of us. It is easy to see Christ in you- I think that's why people enjoy being around you. God has graced you with many qualities of His Son. It's not the flashy stuff that some others might have, but Christ certainly wasn't flashy. At the end of the day you can't sit down and add up the impact you had on anyone, yet you've had a great impact on everyone who's ever known you. God has given you many gifts and it is easy to see Christ in you. God has clearly gifted you for what he has called you to do. You have faithfully followed His lead and He is sovereign over every aspect of your life right now. There are so many lessons in all you're going through. Don't minimize the pressures that you have and are living with at this present time. Trust whatever doors God opens or keeps closed for a while and don't let Satan convince you that it's your fault if things don't go the way you or others think they should. Think how going through these times of testing are going to grow your faith if you keep your eyes on the Lord and your confidence in Him and Him alone. You seemed surprised when I told you how well you did with the Bible reading at the Easter Sunrise Service this past Sunday. Every time I've heard you speak, I'm amazed at your ability to connect with the listners, project your voice, present the gospel with clarity, and bring the Word of God to life. I realized this week that I haven't told you how many evidences of God's grace I see in you and your life. I think I haven't trusted myself- I'm your mom, it's only natural for me to think you're great, maybe I'm not being objective. As I started thinking about this, this week I remembered what a critical spirit I have and how I always see any weaknesses or faults in people (especially my kids) before I see the good. Yet, every time I've heard you speak I'm blown away and amazed that God would have placed you in our family. I hope you are continuing to journal and I hope this summer you have a lot of time to reflect on all God has done in your life and that He will show you what He has allowed you to walk through these past two years. As I've thought about you this week, two hymns keep coming to mind. I hope they're in your hymnal- What a Friend We have in Jesus and Count Your Blessings. Also, the Casting Crowns song- The Voice of Truth. When I heard it on the radio yesterday, I thought of you and who's voice you might be listening to. When you find yourself stressing over things, what scriptures are you holding to? , are you taking your thoughts captive and replacing them with God's truths?, are you disciplining yourself to take your fears and worries to the Lord and leave them there after expressing them to God in prayer, are you able to leave them there? This morning I was struck by a few lines from Hebrews 12: 1-3 let us throw off everthing that hinders..........let us fix our eyes on Jesus......consider Him..... so that you will not lose heart! For these next 3 weeks just do whatever you have to do for school. The finish line is in sight for this season of your life. Don't rehearse your failures, but think of all the ways God has brought you through these 4 years. He won't abandon you now. Go forward in faith that God will complete what He has started. Get everyone you can to pray for and over you during these last few weeks of your race so that you may finish amazed at what the Lord has done in and through you!
Love,
Mom

4 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

Dear Barranco Family,

When I think of Tim, I think of one of the most godly young men I know. His depth and love for others always encouraged me. His preaching was powerful.

My husband (Josh) and I worked with Tim at Beachmont Christian Camp and went to Chesapeake with him. I know he touched so many lives through his various forms of ministry. We're saddened by his unexpected death and will be praying for you all as you deal with your grief.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Matt and Kelli Seilback said...

to the barranco family,

my thoughts and prayers are with you each at the death of your brother and son. i worked with tim at Beachmont camp several years ago. i respected tim. he was a man whole-heartedly delighted in God's word. tim was also a clear model to so many of christ like love and patience.

my condolences to you each. may you today know the comfort of Christ.

matt seilback

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I didn't know Tim quite as well as some, his impact on me was no less significant. I knew Tim mainly from the singles care-group at Chesapeake while he was attending Towson. He always had a smile on his face, and a warm, disarming way about him. He immediatly made you feel welcome and took time to talk and ask what God was doing in your life. You did not have to know Tim very well to know that God was the most important thing in his life. You could see that from just being around him and observing the way he interacted with people, and the passion he had when talking about scripture or what the Lord was showing him at that point in his life. I will miss talking to him, I will miss not having the opportunity to have gotten to know him better...mainly I will miss Tim. But I take comfort in the fact that I will someday see him again. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom,

Thank you so much for sharing the letter you wrote to Tim. I can not emagine the pain of a son going in this way. Your words to him touched me in a way I can not discribe. I am so sorry you are going through this. Our GOD is so big, He can handle anything. I have a cousin who did the same thing Tim did. My heart aches!!!! I didn't know Tim very well but saw his servant heart every week at Grace. Thank you mom for being so strong. I will pray for your family.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home