Friday, May 26, 2006

Driving to Church...

I was driving home to Cleveland today... as I was driving through the beautiful Pennsylvania countryside, I remembered a drive I had with Tim to church one Sunday. I was running late (as usual) and didn't get to finish all of my daily scripture readings before he was at my door.
"Do you mind if I read a little out loud, Tim? I didn't get to finish my reading this morning." He grinned at me from the driver's seat -
"Sure. Nathan and I used to do that in the car on the way to church... what were you thinking about reading?"
"Well..." I looked at the four chapters listed for March 19th in my book... "How about Proverbs 6?... Go to the ant, O sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise..." I paused, scanning the rest of the chapter.
"Hmmm...." Tim looked at me quizzically - "not exactly setting a worshipful tone, is it? How about something else?" He laughed.
"I'm also supposed to read John 9" I turned to that section of my bible.
"John 9! I LOVE that story." Tim smiled and settled back in his seat, waiting for me to read.
I remember pausing at this - recognizing yet again how well Tim knew scripture. I had no idea what story he was talking about.
"As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth..." I read the story of the blind man Jesus healed by making mud on his eyes and telling him to wash...
"Oh, wait - here's my favorite part!" Tim smiled as I read -
"One thing I do know, that though I was blind, now I see."

I flipped through my bible a little, trying to find something in the psalms to help prepare our hearts for Sunday worship...
"Hey, you've got a lot of hilighting on that page...let's read that one." Tim looked over and saw a lot of yellow on psalm 16:

"Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge.
I say to the Lord, "You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you...
the Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot.
The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.
I bless the Lrod who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me.
I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure.
For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption.
You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."

May the Lord bless you today with a worshipful heart and joy in his presence.
Blessings,
~Shelah

5 Comments:

Blogger Briana Almengor said...

Shelah,
I have yet to add my condolences for Tim's passing here on this blog. I knew Tim from Chesapeake Comm. Church and even moreso from his time at Towson. I was on staff with Campus Crusade during the time Tim was at Towson and was involved with the "I Agree with Tim" campaign.

Thanks for letting us into your special relationship with Tim. Everything you describe of him is what I remember, too. And, I simply love this passage in Ps. 16. It has most definitely become a favorite life passage for me.
How good God is to give us His Word to anchor ourselves in times like this, when we can be overcome with sadness and grief.

Praying for you and the Barranco's as well that God will anchor you all in His precious Promises, that God would use powerfully in your lives the thing Tim devoted his life and energy to knowing: God's Word.

5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Sheleh, for your work in putting up the website. I've shared Tim's story and some of the touching comments off the blog with people at my church. Last week in Sunday School I shared Tim's mom's thoughts about her trust in the sovereignty of God. The blog has had a very positive effect on us. My wife and I have been praying for you and from Tim's family.

Mike

8:45 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

Thanks for sharing this story and Psalm. You blessed me today. I continue to pray for you and I hope to see you again someday soon. If you want to come out and visit the WTS community, I will do what I can to set it up (we have a guest room on campus). Love in Christ, Phil Coffin

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lamentations 3:32-33

Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love. For he does not willingly bring affliction or grief to the children of men.

2 Corinthians 1:3-5

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, y'all - how encouraging... I appreciate it - I'm spending time in Memphis now - so precious to be back in the South - walking around in the horse country... so many stars out here... praise the God who brings me stars and horses for comfort.
~ Shelah

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home